Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

First piece of the puzzle


Couple weeks ago I was searching internet for new subjects to photograph in the night sky. Ive tried to find one are that has alot of large nebulas in tight group for a panorama. I ended up with constellation of Auriga. Last night the clouds cleared for couple of hours so I managed to get some data to play with. It isnt as good as I would like it to be, because my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 suffers from missaligned elements and stars on the left side are out of focus. I probably have to shoot this again with 105mm macro wich has terrific image quality from corner to corner compared to 120-300.

The downside is that with such a short focal lenght there is not of pixels for zooming in the good thing is that I can get consistently 2minutes with 300mm lens. With 105mm it would be 6 minute subs and no tracking errors if everything is normal!
I would like to complete this with my 300mm but just isnt an option until I get it repaired, if its even repairable... :(
Anyways, here is first try. I probably need around 8 images with 105mm macro to complete my panorama. Might add this are as a separate image to it aswell.

Largest and brightest red nebula on the upper right is IC405, below that is IC410 on the far left surrounded by IC417 is star cluster M38. With just one hour of data I am suprised how well the extremely faint dark nebulas appeared on the upper right corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment